Training the week of June 14th to 20th was super lame:
- Sunday: sit at home and cry about my sore calf
- Monday: sit at home and cry about my sore calf
- Tuesday: cry and whine and wonder why my calf still hurts
- Wednesday: cry some more, increase amount of whining
- Thursday: slightly hopeful that calf no longer burns when walking
- Friday: happy about non-burning calf, sad about sore abductor from compensating for lame calf
- Saturday: more crying and whining about the slow pace of improvement and the likelihood of being benched another full week
I’ve been living in compression socks and trying to stay off my feet as much as possible. I’ve been icing and elevating when at home, but also find that wrapping a heating pad around the sore calf is most effective for pain reduction.
It’s improved a lot from Tuesday / Wednesday, which was when it felt the worst, but still has a ways to go. It looks like I’ll be taking another full week off from running, though I’m going to try incorporating a bit more yoga and upper-body strength work.
I think it actually started on Wednesday the 10th, when I noticed that my ankle was quite swollen (though no pain at all). I ran on Thursday morning without issue and didn’t experience any pain in my calf until Friday evening, which I assumed was just regular old DOMS from the TRX hamstring curls I’d done that morning. Saturday morning it was still crampy, and then got much worse when I tried to run.
Any googling I’ve done comes up with a variety of reasons for calf soreness, mostly associated with strains or tears in the calf but not starting with swelling in the ankle (which could be a red herring, like communism ;)). I was going to go to the doctor Thursday but work got busy and it was feeling better by that point anyway.
So questions for my running friends:
Has this type of injury ever happened to you?
What did you do and how long did it take to get back to 100%?
How do you cope when you can’t run?
My answer to the last question: become a depressed whiner and make life a living nightmare for everyone around me 🙂 Poor C :p
Previous Sunday training update posts: