My latest entry in the ABC challenge: F is for fire
Given my uneven history with watermabling I had no idea how this technique would work out, but overall I’m happy with the result (even the somewhat squiggly fire on my index finger :))
The colours are more vibrant over the gold base compared to the shimmery black (index and pinky) and the deep red (middle), but I like both looks. It just depends if you’re going for something bold or subtle.
I built a standard watermarble bullseye using black, red, orange and yellow, then pulled sections toward the centre to make licking flames.
The above is my favourite. You don’t want to use too many drops, and you need to use polish that spreads quite a bit so there’s room in the middle to pull the flames in. I started with black, then did red-orange-red-orange-yellow-orange-red, followed by a final drop of black to spread everything out more. I pulled from the centre to the top and bottom, and then worked on the left side to tease the flames out.
I really like how this technique creates variety in the shape and texture of each nail, just like a roaring fire.
As always, click the link below to check out the cool “F” designs created by the other ladies participating in the ABC challenge!
Wow this looks amazing! Fantastic watermarbling 🙂
Thanks Lili, I actually found this design to be easier because I was working on only a small section and could manipulate it quickly while the polish was still really soft. My usual issue with watermarbling is that I’m slow so the polish gets too tacky and then sticks or rips when I try to drag through it 🙁
That’s a great tip! I’ve not gone near watermarbling myself since several fails a while ago – but if I do try again I’ll keep in mind to start with smaller sections.
This looks so gorgeous! Best flame mani I’ve seen to date! I’m so going to replicate this sometime!!!
Thanks! I keep meaning to film a tutorial but other projects keep getting in the way :/ Hopefully before the end of summer
[…] originally posted my fire drag/watermarble design back in June, and have had several requests for a tutorial. After few months, I’ve […]